Thursday, August 6, 2009

the start of a four-day weekend


I know, feel very sorry for me that I have a long weekend. I promise I will put the time to good use. I kept to my Madison ritual of celebrating the end of my first week of classes by treating myself to ice cream. I asked around where the best place to go was and everyone mentioned this new chain they got in Australia a few years ago. It's called 31 flavors. You can only imagine my discontent at the thought of eating American chain ice cream all semester. I settled for a different chain establishment in Freemantle called Cold Rock. As you may have guessed, it's the same thing as cold stone in the states. Freo is a cool city, but it's not my union. The ice cream was good, but Madison is way better. I know I promised to update after my class yesterday, but I ran into a cooking problem and had to run to the store. Anyway, my Aboriginals in Political Science class appears to be a very simple yet deep subject matter. I feel that I am at a huge disadvantage because I have not grown up in the culture that has this social issue. I plan on spending a little time this weekend reading up on the history of this issue, so that I can better participate in class. The good news is, the class does not have a final exam! My class today, Representation and Gender, also lacks a final exam. Things are looking good for me being home for good old American turkey day! My gender class appears to be average, run of the mill women studies class like we have at Madison . It will be nice to have one class where my comfort level is high. Other than school and ice cream, I am completely in love with my little space heater I finally got this week. I slept better last night than I have in weeks. Looking towards the weekend, I will be doing a bit of school work and going to my first Australian rules football game on Sunday. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment