Saturday, August 15, 2009

Do you believe in ghosts?

I'm not a hard-core believer in the supernatural, but I find when visiting sights where many people have died, there is something hanging in the air. Going to the prison at night certainly added an element of spooky to the maximum security center that was closed in 1991. The prison was built by prisoners in the 1800s, and then the prisoners were moved in. The tops of the walls surrounding the prison are covered with broken glass and razor wire, making me glad that I live a life of freedom outside of prison walls. If you look at the pictures, you can see some of the spirit orbs that haunt the prison halls. 43 people were hanged in the gallows at Freo, only one of them being female. I left the pictures of the gallows out of my album because I felt it was too graphic. I felt a little sick standing in that room, the tour guide telling us the timeline of a prisoner's last day on earth. The site has over 200,000 visitors a year, making it the most popular site in Western Australia for tourist. The prison will receive world heritage status next year, the highest honor a site can receive. I recommend you check out their site, www.fremantleprison.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment