Sunday, October 11, 2009

a very entertaining weekend

After my awesome night at the festival, I had more fine arts fun to look forward to this weekend. As some of you may know, I joined the university choir on campus, which combines adults from the community as well as staff and student from the three universities in Perth. We had our concert on Saturday night, and I had forgotten how much I love performing. It's been three years since I was in choir, and while I knew I missed it, I didn't realize how much until I had that post-concert high pulsing through my system again. I'm thinking now I should make an effort for the short time I have left at Madison to get back into the fine arts community. Today I treated myself to a childhood indulgence and went to see the Moscow circus with a friend. To be honest, it was my mother that insisted I go, and I couldn't thank her enough for the prodding. The circus does not tour in North America, and today they announced the company will be on a three year tour break in order to design a new show. The performance was incredible, complete with all the magic and wonder of the big top tent (yes they had a real tent!). A little cultural difference would be that there was no big space between the performance and the audience the way we have in the states. Also, the Moscow performers deserve credit for having much less safety netting than any circus I have seen in the U.S. . I was tempted to buy myself a big "nemo" mylar balloon, but then I found out they were twenty dollars and was able to restrain myself. I had a great time. In tribute to my mother, I have to close by saying, may all your days be circus days!


No comments:

Post a Comment