Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A beautiful vacation and a life cut short

I had a fantastic weekend in Melbourne. The city is very similar to Chicago, with parks and large pieces of modern art scattered throughout the city. I enjoyed being back in a big city, and was overjoyed to have the escape of beautiful parks to walk in after my days of shopping. Melbourne is the shopping capital of Australia, and I managed to escape with fewer purchases than I thought I would. I also went to the shrine, Australia's largest monument to its war veterans, located in the world famous botanical gardens. Melbourne is also home to the largest ice skating rink in the southern and the largest stadium with a retracting roof in the southern hemisphere. The larger stadium in town holds 100,000 people, and is full on any footy match day. The beautiful Yarra river winds along the edge of the city and all of the beautiful museums. It made me miss my city even more. I ate my way through the italian, chinese, and greek neighborhoods, as well as the ocean-side dinning in St.Kilda. I would recommend this city to any theater lovers as well, and having taken in a very funny comedy show, and wishing I could have seen all the broadway shows in town.

Coming home on tuesday at 12:30 a.m. , I decided to check my email before bed and was hit with some tragic news. Last week on Saturday, while heading back to Madison, my very close friend Craig was hit by a car while on his motorcycle. He was killed instantly, and at 20 years old, far too soon. Going through the grieving process via webcam, facebook, and instant messenger makes the whole experience seem hollow and surreal. The reality of the situation will really hit me when I return to Madison and have to remember not to c all Craig because he is no longer here. Craig's spirt was caring and free. He followed his dreams, and always managed to put life in perspective for me. When I got overwhelmed with school, he and I would eat ice cream and just talk. I felt safe and warm in his presence, which I now hope to carry with me in his passing. I couldn't sleep last night, and today I am on the edge on tears constantly. I am keeping busy, but I am longing to go home and hold my friends as we cry together. Craig will be buried on Halloween, his favorite holiday. Please keep his family in your prayers, and know that life is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment